You Know What Grinds My Gears

This blog is about current issues. Usually it will be backlash to something which upsets me or something I find amusing. Yes, I know the title is a Family Guy rip-off.

Name:
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States

I am a college student at UW Milwaukee.

Monday, November 06, 2006

The Christian War on the Gay Community

I have been listening to a lot of Christian talk radio lately, and I keep hearing about how Christians are sick of the "homosexual agenda." What is the homosexual agenda and why should we want to stop it?

The homosexual agenda, as far as I can tell, is that the homosexual agenda is to be equal to the rest of the American population. They want the right to visit their lover in the hospital or to share medical benefits as heterosexual couples do. Christians think allowing these rights would be a threat to traditional families.

Christians argue that:

1.) Gay marriage is against the Bible.

2.) Allowing gays to marry would be wrong because gays can not have children.

Christians like to use one part of the Bible for their first argument. They use a reference to the story of Sodom and Gomorrah in the book of Genesis. This is where God burned down two cities for what some claim were the people's immoral homosexual activities. Christians fail to recognize that the people of these two cities were involved in homosexual rape, not homosexual consensual sex.

So, the main argument from the Bible isn't actually against gay couples. But God wants us to marry so we can have children. Christians argue that gays shouldn't marry because they can not have children. Are they willing to ban marriage between sterile people too? What about those who don't want kids? What about American veterans who lost their genitals defending freedom? I don't see churches banning these types of marriages.

Christians further argue that gay marriage would ruin traditional families. I wonder how the gay couple living next door could possibly destroy a “traditional” family. I have never actually heard one explanation of how this would affect these families. Also, I'm not sure if they realize this, but more than half of heterosexual marriages end in divorce. I know they can't want us to ban those too.

I wish that Christians would listen to one piece of the Bible the way it was intended; "judge not lest ye be judged". Instead of arguing against gay marriage, argue against discrimination. Ask yourself seriously: What would Jesus do?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home